Neurodegeneration Research Assistant - MGU 860
We are seeking a research assistant, ideally already skilled in the molecular cloning techniques required for gene targeting in the mouse. The post-holder will support a new group at MRC Harwell and the Senior Investigator Scientist who will run this group, in collaboration with Professor Elizabeth Fisher at UCL, to make gene targeted mouse models for studying neurodegeneration.
This is an exciting and challenging position. The post-holder will be part of a larger Harwell – UCL Institute of Neurology group studying neurodegeneration, and will work with full support from the various services offered by MRC Harwell and at UCL.
The candidate must have an interest in the technicalities of genome engineering and the biology of neurodegenerative disease.
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
Qualifications and Training:
- Degree in appropriate discipline (e.g. Genetics, Biochemistry, Cell biology, Molecular biology, Neuroscience)
- The ability to work in a multi-disciplinary collaboration; particularly with technically demanding projects
Previous research experience required:
- A proven ability to carry out DNA cloning and experience in projects on gene targeting/genome engineering/gene editing in mouse
- BAC recombineering
- Mouse handling and skills required to organise and look after mouse colonies
- Laboratory management experience
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Excellent communication skills – ability to work well with colleagues from different teams at different research institutes
- Excellent organisation skills – ability to work on different models and projects at one time
- Imaginative, flexible, pro-active approach
- A positive attitude to supporting other group members
- Ability in short- and long-term planning
- Trouble-shooting skills
- Meticulous care in documenting laboratory protocols and results
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives are that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equalities and diversity leadership and management.
Choosing to come and work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined salary pension scheme, excellent holiday entitlement, access to employee shopping/travel discounts, salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers, as well as the chance to put the MRC on your CV in the future.
More information about the MRC Harwell Institute can be found at http://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.