View Vacancy -- I.T. Systems Support Engineer - MLC 996
The MRC at Harwell, Oxfordshire, is a major international research centre at the forefront of studies in mouse genetics and functional genomics. We are investigating a wide variety of disease models in mice, in order to enhance our understanding of the molecular and genetic basis of disease.
MRC Harwell specialises in mouse genetics research, from the earliest stages of development to diseases of ageing. We are a key player in the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium (IMPC), a large-scale collaboration that aims to find a phenotype for every gene in the mouse genome, and run the Harwell Ageing Screen, our own large-scale ENU mutagenesis project to study the genetics of ageing. All phenotypes from our projects are made available to the wider scientific community via the IMPC portal and MouseBook. We are very keen to push our research towards translational studies in humans, and collaborate with clinical and medical professionals for many of our research programmes.
Unit name: Mary Lyon Centre
Division/Section: Informatics Group – I.T. Services Team
Job title I.T. Systems Support Engineer
Salary range: £27,906 - £33,305
Band (Grade): Band 4
Contract type (e.g. Open/Fixed term): Open Ended/Permanent
Hours (e.g. full or part time): Full Time - 36 hours per week
Detailed job description
The Informatics department at MRC Harwell has an exciting opportunity for an experienced I.T. Systems Engineer working within our I.T. Services team.
We are responsible for managing and maintaining a modern and robust I.T. Infrastructure, across a wide range of platforms and devices.
We provide support to over 700 devices serving 350 staff within a secure, resilient high-performance network. We maintain and support over 130 physical and virtual servers (Windows, Linux, VMWare), with an onsite purpose-built data centre at the heart of our infrastructure. We have over 900 TB of disk storage, plus a secondary server room with replication, disaster recovery and back-up.
The successful candidate will have experience in server administration, alongside demonstrable competency in network administration and large-scale storage solutions.
We require an excellent team player who is self-motivated and willing to learn with extensive training opportunities.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Daily management and monitoring of our I.T. infrastructure, ensuring maximum system availability
- Server administration, scheduled patching, support and monitoring; in both physical and virtual (VMware) environments - Windows and Linux
- Support and management of our Compellent data storage infrastructure
- Network management and troubleshooting, ensuring efficient and resilient data transfer and routing
- Management of the Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange hybrid infrastructure
- Manage and support the site’s Microsoft Active Directory Domain.
- Ensure data security, continuity and integrity with various strategies and technologies (Snapshots, replication, disk backup, tape backup, archiving).
- Audit and maintain security in line with our Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation
- Ensure our adherence to MRC I.T. policies.
- Work closely with the Head of Infrastructural I.T. pro-actively contributing strategic ideas for continual improvement
- Work alongside the I.T. Services ‘Desktop & Applications’ team communicating change management and direction as required
- Collaborate with bio-informaticians and software developers, providing infrastructural support
- Work closely with end users and those responsible for generating substantial data; ensuring that good data management practices are implemented.
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- University degree or HND (or equivalent) in Engineering, IT or any other technical discipline
- CCNA qualification
Previous work experience required:
- Significant experience in a similar I.T. support environment
Knowledge and experience:
- Networking administration and troubleshooting.
- Microsoft Exchange Server.
- VMware hosts, virtual servers and associated infrastructure.
- Administration and management of Linux server environments.
- Managing a Windows Active Directory Domain.
- Administration and management of Windows server and desktop environments.
- I.T. Security knowledge
- Experienced in the administration and back up of a large storage solution
- Effective communication skills are essential, both written and verbal.
- A pro-active, self-motivating attitude to project delivery.
- An ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- An excellent team player with the ability to prioritise effectively.
- Willingness to take ownership of a task through to a successful delivery.
- Ability to create concise and effective documentation.
- Ability to liaise with both 3rd party solution providers
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
Benefits include 30 days annual leave plus privilge days & public holidays, a defined salary pension scheme and support for flexible working hours.
As an employer we are strongly committed to your personal development and well-being, with extensive opportunities for training.
The Informatics Department includes two groups, one which supports all I.T. Infrastructure and systems development onsite (Information Systems) and the second which focuses upon our scientific research (BioComputing).
The Information Systems group is comprised of the I.T. Services team (5 posts) and the Software Development team (5 posts).
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.