View Vacancy -- Mechanical Supervisor - MLC 1909
The Mary Lyon Centre at MRC Harwell (MLC) https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/ is located in an expanding science and innovation park in Oxfordshire and is an internationally renowned centre at the forefront of genetics research. As the hub of the new National Mouse Genetics Network, the specialist facilities and capabilities of the MLC support a number of distinct research clusters spread across the UK to accelerate our understanding of human disease.
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or in the support functions. The MRC encourages the integration of clinical and discovery research to elucidate both disease processes and potential new therapies. The MLC focuses on preclinical research using mouse models, which supports clinical research and therapy discovery. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
(Also known internally as Senior Mechanical Technician)
The role is responsible for leading on the day-to-day management and execution of maintenance on mechanical site services (heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), piped water distribution, hot and cold water systems, chilled water, steam, compressed air). Overseeing internal and external works, the Senior Mechanical Technician will be responsible for ensuring the mechanical plant is performing effectively and is managed and retained in a serviceable condition, undertaking routine maintenance, and scheduling works to adhere to industry and safety standards.
The post holder will ensure that mechanical repairs, maintenance and installation work are carried out in accordance with industry standards, and will be required to work in a safe manner at all times, adhering to the Health and Safety at Work Regulations to maintain a safe working environment.
Main Duties/Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the estate’s mechanical services (HVAC, domestic water systems, steam, compressed air, other piped services and associated plant)
- Scheduling and undertaking reactive, preventative, predictive and reliability-centred maintenance
- Responsible for Legionella site management adhering to ACOP L8, undertaking Legionella monitoring and preventative measures, including system flushing, temperature tests, water sampling and storage vessel inspections, and record keeping (Legionella ‘responsible person’; training will be given)
- Routine plant and boiler checks
- Fault finding and carrying out breakdown repairs as and when necessary
- Attend call outs on equipment such as autoclaves and washers in the MLC robot area (training will be given)
- Installation of small project works
- Use the Planet FM software via a mobile device for work requests and planned and preventative maintenance
- Ensure that all work carried out on the MRC estate is completed in an effective and professional manner and that all current Health & Safety and technical legislation is adhered to, including:
- Risk assessments and method statements (produced by in-house staff)
- Safe systems of work (permits/isolation procedures/hot works/testing and re-commissioning)
- Ensure that works are completed to a high standard and in a timely fashion, so as to reduce their impact upon scientific programmes.
- Accept training in future developments and technologies as required; take on additional nominated person responsibilities as required
- Mentoring and development of team members (including the support of apprentices)
- Champion the Engineering & Estates service in a positive manner
- Deliver a high level of customer service
- Attend appropriate training to support the role and service delivery
- Participate as part of an engineering on-call team as required (subject to management approval and operational requirements)
- Procure materials, components and spares
- Take on the role of first aider (training will be given)
Colleagues, Scientists, Senior Managers, External Contractors
Equality & Diversity:
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives are that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equality and diversity leadership and management.
Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements:
The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of Conduct
- Equality and Diversity policy
- Health and Safety policy
- Data Protection and Security policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between the post holder and their manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and the post holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, cooperatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
- City & Guilds levels 3 (or an NVQ accredited equivalent) in a mechanical engineering discipline (HVAC/pipefitting/plumbing etc.)
- BOAS – Accredited Boiler Operator
- HNC in a mechanical engineering discipline or proven industry experience
Previous Work Experience Required:
- Proven experience in the building services industry
- Working knowledge of Mechanical Piped Systems and Design
- Experience of fault finding in HVAC systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- UK Driving license
- Maintaining & fault finding on steam systems
- Legionella Management experience
- F-gas training
- Asbestos awareness trained
Knowledge and Experience:
- Good working knowledge of HVAC and mechanical services engineering practices
- Sound knowledge of piped distribution systems and operational theory
- Knowledge of HSE safety legislation
- Understanding of Building Energy Management systems
- Basic knowledge of Computer Aided Facilities Management systems
- Basic understanding of Legionella ACOP L8 and its practical application
Conscientious, self-motivated, punctual, team player, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with minimal supervision, ability to work in a methodical and structured way and have confidence in dealing with suppliers and service users
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
This opportunity is closed to applications.