View Vacancy -- MRC Postdoctoral Research Scientist LMS - 2010
The LMS is an Institute funded by the MRC and part of the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College. We are located on the Hammersmith Hospital Campus in West London (W12). The institute has first-class facilities and provides investigators from clinical and basic science backgrounds with the opportunity to pursue innovative, multidisciplinary research within the excellence of Imperial College. For more information, visit https://lms.mrc.ac.uk
The Behavioural Phenomics group is headed by Dr André Brown at the MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences. The group’s research is aimed at understanding how molecular level perturbations affect behaviour. For more information, see the group’s website at https://tierpsy.com/. Current areas of research include high-throughput imaging for phenotypic screening and the development of new behavior analysis methods. We are using this technology for whole-animal drug screens to repurpose drugs for rare diseases and to discover novel neuroactive compounds from diverse natural sources including bacteria and venomous animals.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Plan and carry out research in accordance with the project aims
- Attend project and related research group meetings
- Interact and collaborate with group members
- Provide training and advice for other group members including PhD students
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals
- Take an active part in the academic activities of the LMS
- Attend and contribute to journal clubs and seminar presentations
- Present data at national and international meetings
- Form good working relationships with other members of the group as well as internal and external collaborators
This post is a MRC Postdoctoral Research Scientist to support post-doctoral training and help establish successful research scientists in their chosen field. During the fellowship tenure we are committed to provide mentorship for career development and improvement of communication skills. We also offer a highly attractive benefits package including competitive salary and excellent pension scheme.
Education / Qualifications / Training required (will be assessed from application form):
- PhD (or equivalent) in biological or physical sciences or engineering
Previous work experience required (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Experience planning and completing an independent research project
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Presentations at scientific conferences
Knowledge and experience (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Good written communication skills
- Experience working with C. elegans
- Experience with microfluidics
- Experience with natural products
- Experience with imaging or microscopy
- Experience with quantitative data analysis
Personal skills/behaviours/qualities (will be assessed at the interview):
- Good verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative research environment
- Willingness to give and receive help with challenging problems
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to share knowledge and transfer skills to other members of the group on a daily basis
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.