View Vacancy -- Programme Leader Track LMS - 2013
The MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences is a leading international research institute at the Hammersmith Campus of Imperial College London. It has a multidisciplinary approach and hosts outstanding experimental and computational programmes in basic and applied life sciences as well as in clinical research. The Institute aims to carry out pioneering research, train and mentor the next generation of interdisciplinary scientists, and facilitate translation from fundamental research findings towards better diagnosis and treatment.
Purpose of the post – lead the development of autonomous bioluminescence technologies for biomedical research.
The LMS is seeking to appoint a scientist with a strong research record relevant to synthetic biology of bioluminescence and protein and organism engineering.
The successful applicant will have a strong computational and experimental track record and demonstrate evidence of scientific originality and creativity.
The job will involve:
- Planning the scientific direction of a research programme within the overall remit of the Institute and being accountable for presenting the programme for peer review in accordance with MRC procedures
- Directing the research of the Group, supervising some projects directly and overseeing others delegated to senior members of the Group
- Contributing to the long term aims of the Institute by participating in scientific management and undertaking responsibility for infrastructure
- Managing the resources required to sustain the programme, including obtaining additional funding from non-MRC sources
- Generating and managing collaborations to expand the scope of the Group
- Dissemination of the research output of the Group by publication, presentation at scientific meetings and responding the media enquiries
- Contributing to the MRC's commitments: to training young scientists, to enhancing public awareness of science, to interactions with the Imperial Academic Health Sciences Centre, and to promoting appropriate commercial exploitation of research findings
- Contributing to the wider scientific community by membership of committees, editing academic journals, reviewing funding applications
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- PhD or equivalent and several years' post-doctoral experience in protein and organisms engineering
Previous work experience required:
- A strong track record for career stage in a research area complementary to the Institutes existing strengths, which include epigenetics, gene regulation, metabolism, and imaging
- This track record should be demonstrated by at least one senior author publication on autonomous bioluminescence imaging in high-ranking international Journals and at least one senior author publication on protein engineering
Knowledge and experience:
- A strong international profile and outstanding track record in an area of computational or systems biology that is synergistic with the Institute’s core strengths
- Ability to provide leadership, to work within a team and manage, motivate, inspire and support staff
- Proven track record in dissemination of research output by publication and presentation at scientific meetings
- Appreciation of research governance and its implications for this post
- Contributing to the MRC’s commitment in the areas of training, enhancing public awareness of scientific issues, interaction with academic and health service providers and commercial exploitation where appropriate
- Experience in supervision of PhD students
- Experience in commercialisation of research outputs
Applicants should submit their CV with a cover letter describing the motivation for the post and how the candidate fits the person specifications, with name and contacts of two scientific references. Please do not send reference letters at this stage.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
This opportunity is closed to applications.