View Vacancy -- Service Technician (Cage Wash) - PNAC - Biological Services Group - LMB 2018
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To work within a small team, within our Cage Wash area, to deliver essential support services to the MRC LMB Animal Facility located in the Ares Building on the Babraham Research Campus. This Facility in turn, forms part of the larger team known as the Biological Services Group (BSG), whose aim is to support scientific researchers at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), specifically to provide animal husbandry for laboratory mice used in medical research.
Main duties/ Key responsibilities:
• Delivery and collection of animal cages to specified area throughout the building.
• Processing of dirty water bottles and delivery of clean water bottles for the animal rooms (semi-automated)
• Maintenance and routine cleaning of washing/processing equipment.
• Stores duties to include accepting deliveries, moving consumables (such as bedding, diet and enrichment), to the stores area. This includes using a jib-crane to load the bedding totes into the automated systems and decontaminating diet and enrichment before use.
• Laundry duties which include using industrial-sized washers and dryers for the scrubs, over garments and towels used within the Ares building.
• Cleaning of service support areas and other communal areas within the barrier, on a rota basis.
• Use of forklift truck, pallet trucks and other similar lifting equipment (for which training will be given, if required).
• Operation of automated and semi-automated machinery such as autoclaves which are located in the cage/bottle processing area.
• Respond to problems as they arise, seeking advice where appropriate from supervisor or line manager.
• Able to correct any minor faults with the robotic cage washing equipment (after training).
• Ensure faulty/damaged equipment is reported urgently to effect rapid replacement/repair.
• Unload lorries and replenish diet, bedding dispensers and other stocked items.
You will be a member of a small team supervised by a Senior Service Technician under the overall management of the Senior Service Manager.
You will be working closely with Animal Technicians, maintenance staff and other members of the Biological Services Group. You will also interact with delivery drivers when required.
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: Educated to GCSE level, or equivalent relevant experience.
Desirable: Holds a current forklift licence
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working as part of a team and developing strong working relationships
• Experience of working independently
• Experience of maintaining high levels of hygiene to ensure a suitable environment
• Experience of barriered facilities including Individually Vented Caging systems (IVCs)
• Experience of working in a cage wash facility with automated and/or semi-automated machinery
• Experience in machine maintenance.
Knowledge and experience:
• Demonstrates an aptitude for working carefully and safely
• Ability to act on own initiative, and also to know when to seek advice
• Ability to follow instructions, both verbal and written e.g. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and carry them out with limited supervision
• Understands and is able to explain the importance of wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Good written and verbal communication skills
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Responsible, conscientious and hard-working
• Understands the routine nature of this role
• Excellent time management and sound interpersonal skills
• Commitment to undertake standard training programs
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
This opportunity is closed to applications.