View Vacancy -- Health and Safety Manager - LMS 981
The London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) is one of the three Medical Research Council (MRC) research Institutes and part of the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College.
The post-holder’s responsibility to their line manager and the Director of the MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) is to support Group and Facility Heads in the achievement of cutting edge and high quality science by monitoring and advising on safety and regulatory compliance issues. The post holder will have responsibility for managing the provision of a full range of safety services throughout the MRC LMS/Imperial College Institute of Clinical Sciences.
Main Duties / Key Responsibilities:
- Act as Health and Safety Manager to Group /Administrative Heads (both LMS and Imperial) and their teams. Develop a thorough understanding of their current and future needs
- Line manage the Safety Officer, and provide mentoring and support to enable the post holder to thrive in the job
- Assist the Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety in ensuring the LMS is appropriately authorised and registered for work under the Genetically Modified (Contained Use) Regulations 2014 and the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016, and complies with the Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017, or subsequent revisions of these regulations
- Ensure that safety supervisors and radiation protection supervisors are appointed in all relevant parts of the LMS; provide these appointees with general advice on their duties and assess their requirements for training
- Advise staff on laboratory hazards, including biosafety and radiation, and assess their requirements for training
- Assist the Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety with the provision of an effective biosafety programme and act as deputy Biological Safety Officer
- Advise the contracted LMS Radiation Protection Adviser and Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety of any safety and radiation protection issues that may arise, and assist with contingency planning
- Manage the monitoring programmes for radiation work, and ensure records in relation to all aspects of radiation safety and compliance are appropriately compiled and maintained, including lists of sources and waste disposal, and personal dosimetry.
- In conjunction with the Occupational Health service, provide support and guidance to employees and Human Resources on health and safety matters relating to work-related injuries or illnesses and their prevention
- Manage the program of laboratory and building safety inspections
- Participate in the LMS Safety Committee, GM Safety subcommittee and any site Radiation Safety Committee
- Advise staff in respect of Display Screen Equipment hazards, and provide guidance and support to appointed DSE Assessors
- Assist the Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements including those related to human tissue
- Ensure the maintenance of safety equipment, including that for radiation monitoring
- Act as deputy Unit Safety Coordinator, attending all required meetings in his/her absence
- Act as deputy Research Continuity Planner in his/her absence
- Undertake any safety-specific duties as requested by the Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the grade
The post-holder reports to the Head of Laboratory Services, Health and Safety, and manages the LMS Safety Officer post. S/he liaises extensively with staff at all levels in LMS administration and the research groups who are customers for these services.
Education / Qualifications / Training required (will be assessed from application form):
- Degree in a relevant subject, preferably in biological sciences
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) National General Certificate or equivalent
- Experience of working in a health & safety team
Previous work experience required (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Experience in management of safety, especially work involving genetic modification and / or ionising radiation
- Investigation of accidents /incidents, and root cause analysis
- Writing and advising upon risk assessments
- Line management/supervision of staff
Personal skills/behaviours/qualities (will be assessed and at interview):
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal, and IT competent
- Experience of influencing and negotiating to achieve an objective
- Post holder should be comfortable with a negotiating rather than a dictatorial style, although the post-holder may be required to demonstrate firmness as well as tact in order to achieve the Safety team’s goals.
- Managing multiple tasks and prioritising workload in a busy environment
Please include a cover letter in your application, setting out how you would be a good fit for the role. Applications which do not provide a cover letter will not be considered. Please quote reference number LMS-981.
Interviews will be held w/c the 7th of January 2019.
For informal enquiries regarding the post, please contact Dean Norgate, Head of Laboratory Services, Health & Safety, at: email@example.com
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.