View Vacancy -- Genomics Specialist LMS 2157
The LMS is an Institute funded by the MRC and is a Division of the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College. Based on the Hammersmith Hospital Campus in West London (W12), the LMS has first class facilities and provides investigators from clinical and basic science backgrounds with the opportunity to pursue innovative, multidisciplinary research within the established clinical base of Imperial College.
For more information, visit www.lms.mrc.ac.uk.
The LMS Genomics Lab provides access and support to state-of- the-art genomics, single-cell and spatial biology technologies for advanced genomic research and has a long-standing track-record in delivering essential research support to its diverse user community at the LMS and Imperial College. The post holder will be a key player in a team of 3 technology specialists and will help to drive the development and implementation of new genomics modalities to advance the understanding of biology and its application to medicine.
The Genomics Lab supports translational research through it’s following services:
- DNA/RNA QC and library preparation
- Short read and long read NGS sequencing - MiSeq, NextSeq2000, and ONT (PromethIon + MinION)
- 10X Genomics single cell and Visium spatial transcriptomics
- Nanostring spatial biology - GeoMx
You will be joining us at an exciting time as we continue to expand our genomics portfolio to include spatial transcriptomics capabilities, and continue to develop our utilisation and innovation of sequencing technologies, library preparation methods, and single cell techniques.
- Laboratory experiments - NGS library preparation, single-cell sample preparation, operating Illumina sequencers and other specialised instruments, data analysis and Bioinformatics QC, design and perform spatial genomics experiments involving histology and imaging techniques
- Support and train researchers for experimental design, sample QC, data generation and QC, troubleshooting, interacting with users to discuss results
- Liaising with various stakeholders including specialist vendors engineers and technical teams, peers technical specialists across London and the UK, presenting data to researchers both within the LMS and at national meetings
- Help maintain the Genomics Lab at the cutting edge of genomics, single-cell and spatial biology technologies by keeping abreast of the latest technological advances and anticipating and adapting to the fast-moving field of genomics research and by collaborating with LMS and external groups to develop and implement new applications
- Participate in scientific discussions and be responsible for initiating and conducting collaborative research projects involving new spatial transcriptomics modalities
- Report scientific results in a publication quality format and present work at national meetings
- Be actively involved in the development of new genomics, single-cell and spatial genomics approaches to support the scientific programmes of the LMS
Education / Qualifications / Training required (will be assessed from application form):
- MSc in Genetics, Molecular Biology or closely related discipline
- Excellent working knowledge of molecular biology techniques working with RNA and DNA
- Excellent working knowledge of NGS sequencing and single-cell technologies e.g. Illumina NGS and 10X Genomics
- Good understanding of Bioinformatics concepts applied to genomics data analysis
- Candidates with a PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology or closely related discipline will be considered although this role will be primarily a technical support one and not a research-focused post
- Professional Registration with a relevant body at Chartered Scientist CSci or Registered Scientist RSci
Previous work experience and knowledge (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Extensive lab work experience using NGS Illumina technology including DNA and RNA library preparation, operating Illumina sequencers, performing NGS sequencing applications and data generation e.g. RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, troubleshooting and applying bioinformatics QC analyses
- Significant proven laboratory experience of 10X Genomics single-cell technology for scRNA-seq, scATAC-seq, multiome applications; this includes cells and nuclei isolation and counting, preparing GEMs and libraries, analysing data in CellRanger and troubleshooting experiments
- Extensive experience in advising, training and supporting users, troubleshooting complex problems, communicating with researchers at all level of seniority and knowledge
- Working experience in Bioinformatics applied to NGS and single-cell data QC and analysis including FastQC, FastqScreen, IGV genome analysis,10X Cell Ranger
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including the ability to present complex data to a scientific audience
- Confident in engaging is scientific discussion, establishing collaborative projects and present results to a scientific audience
- Previous experience in histology and imaging techniques applied to spatial biology would be an advantage e.g. Nanostring GeoMx, 10X Visium, Resolve Biosciences, Parse Biosciences and ScaleBiosciences
- Previous experience with long-read sequencing technologies like Nanopore or PacBio would be an advantage
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities (will be assessed at interview):
- Outstanding attention to detail and confident ability to work with precious and rare samples
- Outstanding organisational skills and excellent prioritisation and time management
- Ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines, across multiple projects
- Proactive and enthusiastic person with strong commitment and motivation to the job and to the success of the Facility and the Institute
- Confident communicator with experience in dealing with sensitive issues
- Strong will and ability to learn and develop new techniques and skills in a proactive manner
- Collaborative attitude: ability and will to proactively work collaboratively with LMS and external researchers
- This post may require some out-of-hours working and travel to national seminars/meetings
- Flexibility in working hours to allow for collaborative work and to provide the best support within the constraints of a small team
- Strong interest and initiative in researching and learning about emerging technologies, through reading scientific publications, attending seminars, conferences and transferring knowledge into facility work
- Ability and willingness to train others and engage in sharing of knowledge
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
This opportunity is closed to applications.