View Vacancy -- IT Support Analyst - LMS 1008
The MRC’s London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) is a scientific institute with a unique computing environment using Windows, Linux and Macs. Supporting world class scientific research, you will be part of a team that delivers ICT services that enable pioneering science to take place. The primary function of this role is to provide scientific applications and computing infrastructure support.
To support and work within a small team of IT Support Analysts in the LMS’s Computing Facility. Based at the London Institute of Medical Sciences at Hammersmith Hospital, the role liaises with Imperial College London (ICL) and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust; stakeholders in the work that takes place at the LMS and shared IT resources with ICL. The computing infrastructure at the LMS reflects this complexity.
Assisting and supporting the Head of IT in the delivery and development of IT Services with focus on scientific applications. This includes administration, monitoring and maintenance of software infrastructures and applications across all endpoints, as well as supporting the team in to ensure integrity, safety and availability of all data and applications as part of organisations' information systems Contributing to and leading on project tasks as required. Adhering to legislative and MRC ICT security policies.
A professional helpdesk is in operation, which the role forms a core part of. Responsible for prioritising own tasks, managing support requests, contributing to change & problem management and delivering excellent customer service.
The post-holder will report to the Head of IT and be responsible for performing all tasks and projects allocated by the Head of Computing.
The post-holder will work with all LMS research and administrative staff in their IT support and project activities as well as ICL and NHS Trust stakeholders.
The post-holder will work as part of a team with the other IT Support Analysts and other IT team members. They will occasionally work with Imperial College IT staff for IT Imperial or shared infrastructure issues.
The Head of IT will assist the day-to-day task allocation of tasks across the team, when necessary assessing prioritisation over the team and reassigning duties where appropriate.
Carry out a range of tasks supporting the day-to-day activities of the IT Support Analysts and resolving issues reported to the IT Helpdesk.
Supporting and working in a small team dealing with daily IT issues and working on projects associated with IT infrastructure including:
- First point of contact for IT support requests via the IT Helpdesk on telephone and email
- From point of contact to resolution to be main contact for supporting users in the office, over the phone, via email and remotely
- Logging and updating calls in the Service Desk Ticket system
- Manager user accounts, quotas and group policies in active directory
- Windows, Linux and Unix servers in a mixed computing environment
- Install, Configure, Encrypt and Troubleshoot support queries for Windows, Linux, Mac and Unix desktops, laptops and external drives
- Linux user administration and file sharing using CIFS & NFS
- Networking switches, routers and wireless access points and network infrastructure software
- Assist with large scale storage including NAS, direct-attached and backups
- Client security including firewalls, anti-virus and encryption
- 1st-2nd line IT support across the entire IT infrastructure with some 3rd line support supporting the delivery and administration of LAN and WAN networks and security including Cisco router, switches and firewalls
- Advising on IT procurement requirements and raising quotes
- Supporting the team to deliver projects storage and backup solutions
- Racking, fibre optic and Cat5/6 cabling
- Putting together and implementing project plans with the support of the ICT Services Manager
- Inventory and asset management
- Software asset management
- Booking in and registering equipment
- Assisting with maintenance contract management and renewal
- Creating and updating relevant documentation
- Support inter-team working with stakeholders and colleagues
- Support sharing of knowledge and experience
- Be up to date on current knowledge of IT industry developments & standards
- Contributes to team debate through the Head of IT, supporting the review of proposed IT infrastructure changes and their implementation
- Implementing MRC IT security policies
- Any duties and tasks as required and agreed with the Head of IT.
- Act as a technical point of contact to fix application and systems issues.
- Ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of all data used by applications across information systems.
- Make sure that the processes needed for applications to function are running smoothly.
- Identifying organisational need for new applications.
- Preparing technical specification for software.
- Focus on customer satisfaction providing professional, efficient and effective service. Resolving and actioning IT Helpdesk queries to agreed SLA timelines
- Desire to understand and ability to balance the needs of clinical and research staff and their equipment and the associated informatics, bioinformatics and computational infrastructure.
- Contributing to project tasks to agreed timescales, quality and risk with the support of the Head of IT.
- Supporting and contributing to the IT Change Advisory Board, regularly inputting ideas and best practice
- 1st-2nd and some 3rd line IT support across the entire IT infrastructure
- Continuing personal development and training across all IT infrastructure and services and keeping abreast of latest developments, particularly the areas of in-depth expertise.
- Implementing, testing and integrating new applications.
- Performing routine system backups and upgrades.
- Installing new operating systems, updates and releases.
- Providing instructions and training to staff when necessary.
- Monitoring, recording and responding to requests for support.
- Investigating and diagnosing system faults and errors.
- Resolving technical issues.
- Analysing error trends aimed at reducing/minimising down time.
- Scheduling and running regular tests to enhance the current systems and applications.
- Identifying and implementing functionality changes where required.
- Preparing and maintaining documentation of key databases and applications linked to them.
Education, Qualification and Training (will be assessed from the application and at interview):
- Degree level qualification in Computing/related discipline or equivalent professional experience
- ITIL v3 Foundation or equivalent
- PRINCE2 Practitioner or equivalent project management qualification
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses and impact on others
- Ability to support teams and encourage inter-team working with stakeholders and colleagues
- Able to organise and prioritise resources to ensure short and long term targets are met
- Be highly motivated, flexible and innovative in their approach to work
- Plans, multi-tasks & prioritises own time effectively and efficiently to achieve results and to switch between tasks quickly staying in control of problematic situations
- Ensures appropriate engagement of colleagues with relevant stakeholders and issues
- Display ability to build appropriate networks and manage a range of stakeholder interests
- Aligns work to overall strategic direction and LMS objectives supporting the MRC brand profile
- Experience of contributing to team debate to help identify future opportunities and team development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a good command of the English Language
- A high level of customer service and communication skills when dealing with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to use Line Manager and stakeholder feedback to make improvements to the delivery and of ICT services
- Experience in resolving customer complaints and conflict resolution
- Awareness and understanding of equal opportunities and diversity
- Able to self-motivate when working independently, as well as part of a team
- Able to develop and encourage cross-boundary working relationships
- Values diversity and demonstrates respect for other team members
- Contributes positively to ICT and cross-functional teams and shares knowledge and skills
Specific Role Competencies:
⦁ Experience of working in and supporting an IT Support Helpdesk
⦁ Working experience of Mac, Windows & Linux mixed environment
⦁ Understanding of the compute cluster hardware with the ability to coordinate the repair of hardware failures
⦁ Experience of virtualisation technologies
Working knowledge with High Performance Computing, GPU Applications and Tools support
- Ability to improve speed and reliability of High Performance Computing Systems through application optimisation
- Supporting IT projects using project management techniques
- Experience in working with HPC clusters
- Knowledge and support of ICT security matters
- Experience of optimisation of applications such as R, Matlab, Nagios, PBS, Open Stack, Cuda, Sigmaplot, Exceed, Graphpad, Cognos, Shiny Apps, Docker
- High level experience in storage technologies, backup AND networking configuration and protocols
- Experience of shell scripting
Please upload your CV, names and contact of two references along with a cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline what attracts you to the role and your key achievements to date that are relevant to this position. Please quote reference number LMS-1008.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.