View Vacancy -- Senior IT Engineer - Operations Group - Paul Hart - LMB 1346
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
You will be a key member of the IT team which is responsible for providing the IT infrastructure required for the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) and other local MRC units to achieve their scientific goals.
Main duties & Key responsibilities:
- To be responsible with the IT Manager in providing an information technology (IT) infrastructure, which ensures optimal functioning of LMB’s scientific programme.
- To maintain, manage and develop the LMB’s IT facilities, including Desktop hardware and software support, phone system support, management and support of the LMB Audio Visual systems, management and maintenance of database platforms (FileMaker Pro and MySQL), client/server provisioning, networking and storage and backup/archiving.
- To be responsible for the maintenance and updating of hardware and software in our asset management systems.
- To assist with work assigned via the department's helpdesk. This will include providing first and second line support, advising on or taking over more complex cases where greater experience or skills are required than those of a Band 5 Technician.
- To provide advanced second line help desk support to users for both systems and applications when appropriate. This will include monitoring, maintaining, and fixing central IT facilities, such as servers, application devices, switches, firewalls and maintenance of the LMB’s desktop and laptop machines
- To provide assistance with the maintenance and integrity of the LMB’s ISILON file store.
- To maintain and develop IT services such as internal software sources and audits and to be aware of the appropriate applicable regulations.
- To take responsibility for running and developing discrete services within the IT group’s remit (e.g. MySQL and web services). This includes documentation, change management, service monitoring, development and testing.
- To be responsible along with the IT Manager for the day-to-day provision and maintenance of the LMB’s IT infrastructure across the site. To ensure that systems run in a smooth manner and as transparently as possible for users, addressing and resolving all types of hardware and software problems efficiently within an appropriate timeframe.
- To directly contribute and initiate state of the art IT infrastructure developments that facilitate the cost effective accomplishment of the LMB’s scientific goals. This will include researching on-going trends in IT system development.
- Along with the IT manager to develop, produce and review IT Disaster Recovery, Business Continuity procedures – taking lead responsibility for driving specific procedures through from initial creation to review and approval phases as appropriate.
- To help with the maintenance of the LMB’s internal and external web sites in consultation with website content owners from all the LMB’s disciplines. This will include providing advice and practical help with technical and accessibility issues. A good understanding of HTML, PHP and MySQL would be useful .
- You will be part of a team responsible for providing the LMB’s IT Infrastructure and user support, with delegated responsibility for a number of business critical services. You will be expected to proactively seek ways of providing a more efficient and better service to the LMB.
You will be required to develop a professional working relationship with all IT users, i.e. staff (including Scientists and Management), Students and Visiting Workers. MRC Shared Services Centre, Head Office, external companies. Along with external visitors to the LMB, including scientific speakers.
In addition, you will need to communicate with the users to ascertain any problems they might be having and set out solutions and provide user training.
You will negotiate with outside companies to ensure an effective and efficient supplier provision and on-going maintenance when this is supplied by external contractors.
You will report to the IT Manager, but will have no line management responsibilities.
Education / qualifications / training required:
- Qualified to degree level or have equivalent experience providing IT support in a mixed Mac, Windows and *nix environment.
- Formal or hands-on training in server management and *nix CLI/Systems administration.
- Qualified Apple or Dell Service Engineer
- Training or experience working in second and third line support.
- Training or experience in database design – ideally FileMaker Pro
Previous work experience required:
- Significant experience of working in a busy IT department, providing server and desktop support to a large number of users.
- Advanced experience of Apple and *nix servers, such as Centos and Scientific Linux and working in the GUI and CLI of these systems.
- Experience in IT sys admin and development, including hardware and diagnostics, backup and restore of servers.
- Experience of working with Windows.
- Ability to perform basic administration on 3 layer switches and routers.
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot problems, to build and configure physical and virtual workstations.
- Familiarity with client server deployment solutions.
- Good understanding of TCP/IP, SMB, NFS, VLANS, ISCSI, WIFI and VOIP.
- Good Understanding of VMWare, VSphere and Veeam.
Experience in any of the following:
- Fortinet firewalls
- Juniper Switches / Equipment
- Wireless networks - Aruba
- Apple Hardware
- Dell Hardware
- Windows Client / Server
- Archiware P5 Backup
- Sophos Central
- Airwatch Mobile Device Management
- FileMaker Pro Server / Client
- Network cabling – CAT6/6A, Multimode and Single mode fibre.
- Mitel phone systems.
- Quest KACE
- AV Support
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with users, contractors and staff at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a team using own initiative when needed.
- A willingness to learn and develop skills in areas useful to the LMB.
- A can-do proactive approach to work and a willingness and enthusiasm to help others use IT effectively.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise work to deal with several projects simultaneously.
- Working to strict deadlines with minimal supervision.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.