View Vacancy -- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Manager - Operations Group - Human Resources - LMB 1475
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
The Laboratory for Molecular Biology (LMB) is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best people. The LMB recognises that the diversity of its staff and students makes an essential contribution to its continuing success.
The EDI Manager is key to this aim by helping to develop an EDI strategy with targeted objectives and action plans to promote, support and develop equality, diversity and inclusivity across the LMB’s people practices.
The EDI Manager will also be responsible for developing a governance and communication framework to foster engagement across the organisation, ensuring progress is regularly reviewed against the stated objectives and there is transparency in reporting to the wider organisation.
Main duties/ Key responsibilities:
Engage with stakeholders across LMB to review existing people practices through all stages of the employment/studentship lifecycle to identify EDI gaps and priorities.
Review LMB’s existing EDI data to provide an evidence base to inform the EDI strategy.
Provide advice, guidance, insight and expertise to colleagues and senior leadership to ensure LMB upholds and promotes EDI.
Lead in the development of an EDI strategy and roadmap that promotes, supports and develops equality, diversity and inclusivity across the LMB’s people practices.
Develop a governance and communication model for supporting and tracking progress against the EDI action plans and communicating results to the wider organisation.
Develop and deliver a suite of innovative resources that help promote EDI and help develop an inclusive culture at the LMB.
Engage with other senior managers in LMB, MRC, UKRI and partner organisations to plan or align activities, share best practice, and collaborate on EDI projects.
You will report to the Head of HR and will work closely with the HR team. You will work with senior managers and key stakeholders across LMB and will liaise with colleagues across MRC and UKRI.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: CIPD level 7 qualification or relevant equivalent experience.
Previous work experience required:
• Highly developed specialist knowledge and understanding of EDI.
• Relevant experience of providing EDI advice and support in a complex organisation.
• Experience of developing an EDI strategy and action plan for a complex organisation.
• Demonstratable experience of designing and implementing EDI initiatives
Desirable: Experience of working in a scientific or research organisation.
Knowledge and experience:
Creativity and initiative
• Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to evaluate information, present clear and convincing findings, and provide recommendations and proposals.
• Ability to think and plan strategically and to take the initiative.
• Resilient, able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrable ability to multi-task and deliver to deadlines.
• Able to work autonomously and take responsibility for making decisions to ensure work is prioritised and delivered.
Verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate complex information clearly and persuasively to a wide range of audiences including senior managers.
• Excellent writing and skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills to develop effective working relationships at all levels as well as inspire others with an open, honest and engaging approach.
• Empathic and ability to deal sensitively with challenging situations.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Proactive and driven, with a passion for delivering high quality work.
• Manage projects, work to deadlines and prioritise own workload.
• Able to develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to resolve challenges in a positive and constructive way.
• Excellent organisational skills with the ability to be responsive and adaptable to changing circumstances.
• Keeps up to date with the latest trends and technologies within the EDI field.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.