View Vacancy -- Postdoctoral Scientist - Structural Studies - Dr Venki Ramakrishnan - LMB 1546
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To work within the Group of Dr Venki Ramakrishnan at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), within a programme aimed at structural studies on translation. Specifically, to undertake research to investigate initiation of translation, mitochondrial protein synthesis and ribosomal quality control mechanisms.
• To undertake research aimed at structural studies on translation.
• To identify, develop and apply a broad range of techniques to pursue the research objectives.
• To collaborate as necessary with others both in the group and outside to advance projects.
• To present scientific work at seminars within the Laboratory and at external meetings.
• To contribute to Laboratory-wide discussions on developments within the field.
• To draft scientific papers, and contribute to the overall preparation of research for publication.
• To contribute to the LMB’s mission in the public engagement of science, and the translation of research findings into improvements in health care.
• To assist in the training of PhD Students and other members of the LMB, and collegially share techniques and findings.
Within the overall direction of the programme, the Group, the remit of the project and in discussion with the Group Leader, you will make a significant input into determining the direction of the project within a three year lifespan.
To plan your own work and objectives on a 12-month basis and manage your experimental work within the project along with your Supervisor.
To regularly communicate and consult with collaborators as needed.
To work with limited supervision to identify, develop, modify and apply the necessary techniques to achieve the goals of the project.
To introduce and apply new techniques across a wide range of disciplines and to have the creativity and initiative to develop novel approaches and methods where required.
To ensure the research is carried out in accordance with good practice and in compliance with local policies and legal requirements.
To contribute to the smooth running of the Group, including the effective use of resources, training of others and taking responsibility for use of communal facilities.
To enhance your research and generic skills through a tailored development programme.
You will report to Dr Venki Ramakrishnan and will interact and collaborate with other Postdoctoral Scientists, Research Support Staff and Students, not only in your Group, but also across the LMB and with external Groups as necessary.
This is a three-year training and development position for a Postdoctoral Scientist who has recently completed their doctoral studies, is moving into a new research discipline or has limited experience of key transferable skills. We support Postdoctoral Scientists with a range of formal and on-the-job training, including:
• MRC training courses.
• External training and personal development courses.
• One-to-one training with your Supervisor and other Scientists.
You will commit to undertaking the following:
• Developing and following a personal development plan.
• Attending training courses.
• Identifying additional training which will support you to develop your career.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
These should include a PhD in a relevant subject or due to complete PhD within 6 months.
Technical skills and expertise:
Experience of and ability to perform techniques relevant to the project. Particularly useful would be:
• Experience of standard biochemical techniques including expression and purification of molecular complexes.
• Experience in structural methods such as crystallography or cryoelectron microscopy.
• Experience with high-resolution structure determination of RNA-protein complexes or ribosome complexes using x-ray crystallography and/or cryoelectron microscopy.
Track record of research:
Must have a demonstrable track record of publications in first-rate journals.
Other relevant evidence of:
• Ability to communicate.
• Working with others.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.