View Vacancy -- Building Services Assistant - MLC 1907
The Mary Lyon Centre at MRC Harwell (MLC) https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/ is located in an expanding science and innovation park in Oxfordshire and is an internationally renowned centre at the forefront of genetics research. As the hub of the new National Mouse Genetics Network, the specialist facilities and capabilities of the MLC support a number of distinct research clusters spread across the UK to accelerate our understanding of human disease.
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or in the support functions. The MRC encourages the integration of clinical and discovery research to elucidate both disease processes and potential new therapies. The MLC focuses on preclinical research using mouse models, which supports clinical research and therapy discovery. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
To assist in the carrying out of general repairs, maintenance and installation work in accordance with the relevant regulations and the Medical Research Council's specifications and Codes of Practice. To observe at all times, the Health and Safety at Work Regulations in order to maintain a safe working environment and to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post in compliance with the Medical Research Council's Equal Opportunities Policy.
Main Duties/Key Responsibilities:
- Carry out emergency repair works and ongoing general maintenance to all buildings (includes minor decorating and carpentry work)
- Work with and assist engineers in carrying out day-to-day maintenance work
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance (PPM) to plant and equipment
- Carry out routine plant and boiler checks (training will be given)
- Carry out Legionella monitoring and preventative measures, which includes system flushing, temperature tests, water sampling and storage vessel inspections (Legionella responsible person); training will be given
- Assist with carrying out breakdown repairs & fault finding, as and when necessary
- Installation of small project works as required
- Use Planet FM software to handle work requests and planned and preventative maintenance
- Assist in general office/laboratory moves and relocation of large equipment
- Ensure that all work carried out on the MRC estate is completed in an effective and professional manner, working in a safe manner within risk assessments and standard operating procedures
- Accept training in future developments and technologies as required; take on additional nominated person responsibilities as required
- Assist with mentoring and development of apprentices as required
- Champion the Engineering & Estates service in a positive manner
- Deliver a high level of customer service
- Attend appropriate training to support the role and service delivery
- Procure materials, components and spares
- Take on the role of first aider (training will be given)
- To participate as part of an engineering on-call team as required (subject to management approval and operational requirements)
Colleagues, scientists, senior managers, external contractors
Equality & Diversity:
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives are that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equality and diversity leadership and management.
Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements:
The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of Conduct
- Equality and Diversity policy
- Health and Safety policy
- Data Protection and Security policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between the post holder and their manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and the post holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, cooperatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
- City & Guilds levels 2 & 3 (or an NVQ accredited equivalent) in an engineering subject area
- Experience in the building services industry
Previous Work Experience Required:
- Good knowledge of varied maintenance; a passion for fixing things and problem solving
- Ability to walk up and down stairs without difficulty, carrying reasonable loads unassisted and work at heights using ladders and tower scaffolding
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience of working within a scientific establishment, including working knowledge of barrier restrictions
- UK driving license
Knowledge and Experience:
- Prior experience of working in an engineering environment
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Executive legislation
Conscientious, self-motivated, punctual, team player, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with minimal supervision, ability to work in a methodical and structured way, confidence in dealing with suppliers and service users
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.