View Vacancy -- Sustainability Manager - MLC 1990
The Mary Lyon Centre at MRC Harwell (MLC) https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/ is located in an expanding science and innovation campus in Oxfordshire and is an internationally renowned centre at the forefront of genetics research. As the hub of the new National Mouse Genetics Network, the specialist facilities and capabilities of the MLC support a number of research groups across the UK to accelerate our understanding of human diseases, such as cancer, developmental disorders and neurodegeneration.
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a great place to work and progress your career. The MRC encourages the integration of clinical and discovery research to elucidate both disease processes and potential new therapies. The MLC provides vital scientific support for the UK biomedical community and focuses on preclinical research using mouse models, which supports clinical research and therapy discovery.
The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
The post-holder will evaluate the sustainability requirements at MRC Harwell, develop projects to monitor and improve environmental issues and, where appropriate, put in place processes to improve sustainability.
Main Duties/Key Responsibilities:
- Evaluate site sustainability and future requirements in line with UKRI sustainability plan and current best practice
- Gather information across all departments to support and develop a site-wide strategic plan
- Work alongside all departments to implement the strategic plan and, where necessary, change current thinking
- Evaluate which sustainability ideas are being considered and implemented across other MRC units and how these could be executed at MRC Harwell
- Implement and maintain the Laboratory Efficiency Assessment Framework (LEAF)
The post-holder will work with all departments alongside the senior management team
Equality & Diversity:
The MRC values the diverse skills and experience of its employees and is committed to achieving equality of treatment for all. Our objectives are that all individuals shall have equal opportunities for employment and advancement on the basis of their skills, aptitudes and abilities. The MRC is committed to the engagement and retention of the best possible talent and to creating an environment that encourages excellence in scientific research through good equality and diversity leadership and management.
Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements:
The post-holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of Conduct
- Equality and Diversity policy
- Health and Safety policy
- Data Protection and Security policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between the post-holder and their manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and the post-holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, cooperatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
- Degree level qualification in science with a proven interest in sustainability issues and/or comparable experience in an environmental science or sustainability field.
- Qualification in environmental science
Previous Work Experience Required:
- Worked within a sustainability field
- Previous experience in a laboratory environment
- Knowledge of current sustainability projects
- Knowledge of sustainability within an engineering field
- Knowledge of sustainability within an environmental science or sustainability field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Practical knowledge of sustainability standards
- Experience of implementing sustainability ideas
- Knowledge of the LEAF process
- Excellent reporting skills
- Proactive in developing and implementing sustainability ideas
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent at change management and changing current culture
- Excellent level of IT literacy and good working knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Pro-active and flexible approach to work, with a willingness to travel on occasion
- Passion for environmental sustainability.
- Independent worker with the ability to autonomously
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.