View Vacancy -- HR Assistant - Operations Group - Human Resources - LMB 1994
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To provide professional and proactive general administrative support to the HR Department at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB). Specifically providing support to the HR Advisors and wider team in addition to ensuring the smooth operation within the HR Office.
General administrative tasks:
• To act as the first point of contact for visitors to the HR department, directing queries as appropriate to the HR Advisors and wider team and effectively trouble shooting where possible.
• To manage the HR Admin inbox, ensuring emails are prioritised and actioned appropriately.
• To ensure stationery levels are maintained within the department, ordering stock where necessary.
• To undertake minute taking at meetings when requested, ensuring deadlines are met.
• To undertake project work both locally and corporately as requested.
• To oversee the processing of recognition awards on a weekly basis.
• To complete occupational health invoicing and filing when required.
• To provide reports to HR Advisors as requested.
• To organise travel for the HR team.
• To carry out the monthly immigration audit.
In order to support HR Advisors in the management of recruitment campaigns you will:
• Provide administrative support for the recruitment process, including contract generation and suggest improvements where necessary.
• Administer the interview process using the Recruitment system.
• Provide cover for the Recruitment Assistant duties when they are out of the office.
You will be line managed by one of the HR Advisors, with all Advisors providing support and guidance.
Daily communication will be required with HR Advisors and the wider team.
Regular communication will be required with LMB staff, including administrators and with UK Shared Business Service (UK SBS).
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: Educated to A Level standard or equivalent experience.
Desirable: Level 2 Business & Administration qualification or equivalent.
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working in an Office environment and providing general administration.
• Experience of working as part of a team.
• Experience of prioritising own workload.
Desirable: Experience of working in an HR environment and providing HR administration.
Knowledge and experience:
Creativity and initiative
• Ability to act on own initiative, but also to know when to seek advice.
• Ability to think creatively and interpret instructions.
• Intuitive with the ability to manage challenging situations with little or no supervision.
• Willingness to venture into the lab and liaise with staff and visitors as necessary.
Desirable: Experience of carrying out project work.
Verbal and written communication skills
• Exceptional communication skills, applying diplomacy where needed.
• Attention to detail in written work.
• Ability to interact with varying levels of staff and visitors.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Professional, approachable and consistent.
• Sensitivity to general HR situations.
• Good organisation skills with the ability to adapt to regularly changing priorities and workloads.
For this role we are open to discussing the possibility of part-time hours, hybrid working, flexible start and finish times, or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
This opportunity is closed to applications.