View Vacancy -- Research Assistant/Lab Manager LMS 2011
The London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) is an Institute funded by the MRC and part of the Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College. We are located on the Hammersmith Hospital Campus in West London (W12). The institute has first-class facilities and provides investigators from clinical and basic science backgrounds with the opportunity to pursue innovative, multidisciplinary research within the excellence of Imperial College. For more information, visit https://lms.mrc.ac.uk
The Behavioural Phenomics group is headed by Dr André Brown at the MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences. The group’s research is aimed at understanding how molecular level perturbations affect behaviour. For more information, see the group’s website at https://tierpsy.com/. Current areas of research include high-throughput imaging for phenotypic screening and the development of new behavior analysis methods. We are using this technology for whole-animal drug screens to repurpose drugs for rare diseases and to discover novel neuroactive compounds from diverse natural sources including bacteria and venomous animals.
The post holder’s primary responsibility will be to work closely with current lab members to perform high-throughput screens using a new imaging system. Additional responsibilities will include worm strain maintenance and freezing, reagent preparation, and ordering.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Plan and carry out research in accordance with the project aims
- Ensure the availability of materials necessary for the project including monitoring consumables stocks and ordering where necessary
- Attend project and related research group meetings
- Interact and collaborate with group members
- Form good working relationships with other members of the group
Education / Qualifications / Training required (will be assessed from application form):
- BSc (or equivalent) in the biological or physical sciences
Previous work experience required (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Experience working in a scientific laboratory
Knowledge and experience (will be assessed from application form and at interview):
- Expertise in good scientific practice including record keeping and reporting
- Good written communication skills
- Experience working with C. elegans
- Imaging and image analysis
- Experience in microbiology or molecular biology
Personal skills/behaviours/qualities (will be assessed at the interview):
- Good verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative research environment
- Willingness to give and receive help with challenging problems
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to share knowledge and transfer skills to other members of the group on a daily basis
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.