View Vacancy -- Maintenance Technician - Operations - Estates and Facilities - LMB 2345
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
You will be a member of the Estates and Facilities team at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) working as a Maintenance Technician. As part of the team, and dependant on your experience and expertise, your focus will be either be electrical or mechanical (or multi-skilled). As such you will be responsible for the electrical and/or mechanical servicing and repairs at the main LMB building and other LMB sites on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus and Babraham Research Campus. The workload is varied, and priorities can change at short notice.
Main duties / Key responsibilities:
You will be responsible for providing electrical and/or mechanical planned and preventive maintenance (PPM) and reactive maintenance (RM) on all plant systems and services.
You will undertake works on behalf of the Estates & Facilities team including supervising external service providers and contractors.
You will liaise with end users to plan in maintenance works or project works as required.
You will be responsible for interrogating the computer-controlled Building Management Systems (BMS) to monitor and identify fault diagnostics, taking the appropriate action to resolve these.
You will oversee the operation of the steam boilers and systems. Steam is used extensively throughout our sites and training will be given as required.
You will undertake on-call duties approximately 6-8 weeks per annum, responding to callouts when off-site.
You may assist in the mentoring of apprentices.
You will report to the Services Coordinator and will be part of the Estates and Facilities team.
You will interact with members of the LMB, effectively communicating with them to establish their needs and communicate these needs both orally and through written specifications to those carrying out the work.
You will interact with external service providers and contractors.
Education / qualifications / training required:
• Completed a recognised electrical or mechanical apprenticeship or hold the equivalent qualifications.
• Hold a full UK driving licence.
• Formal Health & Safety (H&S) qualifications and ability to undertake risk assessments.
• Formal training/qualifications relating to steam boilers, including analysis of steam systems and boiler water treatment.
• Boiler Operation Accreditation Scheme (BOAS) certificate.
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working in a complex building with responsibility for electrical and/or mechanical systems.
• Experience in a scientific environment.
• Experience of supervising external contractors.
• Experience of steam systems.
Knowledge and experience:
• Good working knowledge of engineering services coupled with a good understanding of all aspects of building maintenance.
• An understanding of work-related H&S risks, and how to mitigate against the risks.
• Experience of using a BMS system.
• An understanding of HVAC systems.
• An understanding of statutory maintenance requirements.
• Experience of estimating correct quantity of materials to complete maintenance and/or project works.
• Competent IT skills including use of Microsoft Office.
• Competent working with handheld devices (iPhone/tablets etc) and “smart” technology.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Ability to effectively communicate with users and service providers, establishing the needs of the users and communicating these needs both orally and through written specifications to those carrying out the work.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely and effectively with staff at all levels.
• Ability to listen to others, understand and interpret their views, analyse, and provide advice/solutions.
Organisation skills and initiative
• Ability to plan and prioritise work without or under limited supervision.
• Ability to use initiative when required.
• Ability to adapt, as the workload is varied and priorities can change at short notice, which may require working outside normal working hours (overtime is payable).
• Ability to work flexibly, as on-call cover duties need to be undertaken.
• Ability to work as part of a team or independently.
• Ability to work under pressure but constructively, collaboratively, and productively with colleagues at all levels within the LMB and externally.
Closing Date Monday 4th March 2024, however we reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Corporate/Local responsibilities & requirements
You must at all times carry out your responsibilities with due regard to the UKRI:
• Code of Conduct
• Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy
• Health and Safety policy
• Data Protection policy
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between you and your manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post, the MRC and UKRI.
The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check. The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.