View Vacancy -- Finance Assistant - Operations Group - Josie Gowler - LMB 540
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably X-ray crystallography of proteins, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
With the new laboratory the LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
Please note that at this stage this role is only open to Civil Service employees
To proactively provide accounting support to the Finance Team in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) by performing tasks, which include invoice on-hold queries, sundry invoice processing, adjustment journal preparation and entry onto the Oracle accounting system. This role will also assist with the preparation of budget plans within the constraints of Corporate deadlines.
To provide administrative support to the LMB Head of Finance and Research Contracts, Finance Manager, Finance Officer and Grants Officer.
Invoices on-hold queries
• Invoices on-hold – investigate and resolve a variety of queries from the weekly report from Head Office, liaising with requisitioners, Divisional Administrators, suppliers and UK Shared Business Services (UKSBS). Invoices on-hold queries include invalid purchase orders (POs), freight and price variance issues and receipting queries.
• Ensure regular and on time payment of utility invoices by sending them authorised and coded for processing via service request to UKSBS. Chase for utility invoices not received from the supplier to prevent any essential accounts going on stop.
Month End Procedures
• Prepare transaction reports and create adjustment journals for incorrectly coded UK Travel and Subsistence costs, which will be reviewed by the Head of Finance and Research Contracts. This work is to be completed within Day One of month-end.
• Assist the Finance Officer with the collection of data for Accruals and Prepayments.
• Obtain utility meter readings from Estates Management.
Balance Sheet Account
• Assist the Finance Office with the investigation and clearance of the Accounts Payable Balance Sheet.
Sundry Invoice Processing
• Ensure that all manual invoices are paid in a timely manner, completing the manual input form, getting it authorised as appropriate and forwarding to UKSBS for processing. These include invoices received from DHL, Fedex and Panther Taxis.
Internal Recharge Journals
• Prepare and upload recharge journals for mileage, Visual Aids and Sequencing, on a monthly basis with all the relevant backing documents.
• Prepare adjustment journals for movement of costs, once authorised post to the Oracle accounting system.
• Complete the recharging exercise by raising invoice requests for the Blood Transfusion Service and the MRC Cancer Unit for electricity supplied via the LMB, etc.
• Understand and be able to advise on credit card usage.
• Provide holiday cover for credit card transactions requested by scientists.
• Assist Finance staff credit card holders by scanning local usage evidence.
• Assist Finance staff with the preparation of annual plans, and uploading said plans on the Oracle accounting system.
• Complete journal control sheet, update journal log and print plan documents as required.
• Assist with reconciling the plans entered on Oracle with totals of planning documents.
• Receive and distribute incoming post for the Finance Office on a daily basis.
• Act on queries within own responsibility.
Correction at Source
• Complete correction at source documents to move incorrectly coded expenditure as requested and authorised by members of the Finance team.
• Assist the Finance Manager with the monthly asset audit required as per the MRC Asset Policy.
• Send all cheques received in the Finance Office to UKSBS in an efficient manner each week.
• Scan and save the Unit Credit Card Purchase Vouchers for the Finance Manager ensuring all copies are available for the month-end return and that they are correctly coded and authorised.
• Provide on-going general support to the Finance Staff.
• Maintain the smooth running of the department’s facilities e.g. paper and toner in printer/photocopier and stationery orders.
Ensure that all tasks assigned to the role are completed in a timely manner reporting to the Finance Manager with any concerns.
• You will report to the Finance Manager.
• Work closely with all staff within the Finance Office in order to become an efficient and effective team member.
• Build and maintain a good working relationship with other LMB staff.
• Liaise with Scientists where there are invoicing issues and advise as required.
• Work and communicate with UKSBS staff to resolve invoice queries promptly.
This role is very varied; there are routine tasks as well as tasks being actioned for all members of the Finance Team.
Education / qualifications / training required:
Essential: Educated to A Level Standard with a minimum of A-C GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths.
Desirable: Working towards a bookkeeping or accountancy qualification.
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working in an office environment dealing with account queries.
• Excellent IT skills with experience of using Microsoft Excel and Word including the use of Pivot tables and functions such as “vlookup”.
• Experience of the following accounting procedures:
- Invoice Queries.
• Knowledge of balance sheets.
• Experience of using an accounting system such as Oracle or Sage etc.
• Experience of accurate record keeping and filing with a keen eye for detail.
• Experience of working as part of a team.
Knowledge and experience:
Creativity and initiative
Essential: Ability to act on own initiative, but also to know when to seek advice
• Good written and verbal communication.
• Ability to produce accurate numerical work.
• Ability to interact with staff on all levels.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Professional, approachable and consistent.
• Good organisational skills but with flexibility to prioritise and re-prioritise as the need arises.
• Demonstrates commitment to learning new skills and knowledge to enable continuous improvement.
Desirable: General interest in the LMB.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.
The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a final salary pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers, as well as the chance to put the MRC on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
Final appointments will be subject to pre-employment screening.
This opportunity is closed to applications.