View Vacancy -- Finance Officer - Operations Group - Josie Gowler - LMB 597
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably X-ray crystallography of proteins, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
With the new laboratory the LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To contribute to the smooth running of the Finance Office at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), by providing a reliable focal point for the handling of financial information, conducting financial analysis and solving financial queries.
Main duties & Key responsibilities:
• To assist with the management of the LMB salary budget, providing on a monthly basis to agreed deadlines information to budget holders of salaries charged, and using payroll data to reconcile salaries charged.
• To assist with the management of LMB consumables budgets, this includes; plan development, variance analysis and providing reports to the budget holders on a monthly basis.
• To be responsible for the monthly preparation of the Management Accounting journals (e.g. accruals and prepayments), working within corporate deadlines.
• To manage the LMB Doctoral Training Awards in liaison with the LMB Post Graduate Administrator.
• To reconcile and assistance with management accounts preparation as required on a monthly basis.
• Where appropriate, to prepare journal documents and send to SBS for action.
• To be responsible for LMB petty cash working within MRC guidelines and local agreements.
• To monitor and assist in Accounts Payable Queries and be the escalation point for overdue queries with the shared service centre (UK SBS Ltd), and other important stakeholders.
• As appropriate, may be required to contribute to the management and development of the LMB Finance Assistant.
You will report to the Finance Manager and work closely with all staff within the Finance Office in order to become an efficient and effective team member.
You will build and maintain a good working relationship with other LMB staff, liaise with Scientists where there are invoicing issues and advise as required. You will work with UKSBS staff to resolve invoice queries promptly.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / qualifications / training required:
• Educated to ‘A’ Level standard.
• Part qualified CIMA, ACCA, AAT or similar bookkeeping or accountancy qualification or working towards one of these.
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of working in an office environment dealing with account queries.
• Experience of preparing documentation that comply with inspection by an auditor.
• Excellent IT skills with experience of using Microsoft Excel functions to evaluate large amounts of data.
• Excellent knowledge of the following accounting procedures:
o Invoice Queries.
o Balance Sheets.
• Experience of using an accounting system such as Oracle or Sage etc.
• Experience of accurate record keeping with a keen eye for detail.
• Experience of using Oracle accounting system.
• Experience of working within a research environment or the public sector.
Knowledge and experience:
• Ability to run and analyse finance reports, identify issues and take corrective action.
• To have an understanding of Management Accounts.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
Time management: Ability to prioritise and take responsibility for own workload working to tight deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships.
Team working: Effective team member willing to contribute, but respectful of the roles and experience of others.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to capture fine details and ensure consistency of data in an efficient manner.
• Ability to use initiative when required.
• Ability to work without or under limited supervision.
Desirable: Demonstrable commitment to continuous professional development.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.