View Vacancy -- Animal Technician x 2 - PNAC Ares - BSG - LMB 711
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably X-ray crystallography of proteins, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
With the new laboratory the LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To work within a small team, within an animal holding room, forming part of the larger team known as the Biological Services Group (BSG), whose aim is to support scientific researchers at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB). Specifically to provide animal husbandry for laboratory mice used in medical research.
• Daily care and maintenance of research mice within individually vented caging systems (IVCs).
• Daily welfare observations using good attention to detail in order to check animal numbers and caging information and to report any abnormalities as appropriate.
• Regular observations of cage cleanliness and change cage bases to ensure suitable environments for the animals.
To ensure the animals have a continuous supply of fresh water and access to food supplies, including wet mash.
To maintain the animal rooms to a high standard of hygiene, for example; damp-dusting the surfaces, vacuuming and mopping the floors
To liaise closely with scientific staff, whose animals you are responsible for work closely to protocols and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
To ensure that Home Office Compliance is met in all areas at all times.
To maintain detailed, accurate records of all activities, using both electronic and manual methods.
Typically you will be a member of a small team (normally 3-5 people), supervised by a senior technician under the overall management of a Facility Manager.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / qualifications / training required:
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades A-C or equivalent.
Institute of Animal Technology (IAT) certificate or equivalent.
Relevant scientific degree.
Previous work experience required:
- Experience of caring for animals.
- Experience of working as part of a team.
- Experience of working as an animal technician.
- Experience of barriered facilities, including isolation systems eg. individually vented cages (IVCs), and flexible film isolators.
- Working knowledge of Home Office regulations.
- Experience of following written processes and working to strict guidelines.
- Demonstrate an understanding of working to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Experience of using SmartLab or other similar databases.
Knowledge and experience
Creativity and initiative
Essential: Can demonstrate good attention to detail.
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently and follow instruction.
- Acts on own initiative, but also has the ability to know when to seek advice.
Verbal and written communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience of good record keeping, both electronically and manually.
Desirable: Experience of communicating with researchers.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
- A pro-active approach demonstrating commitment to animal welfare with a desire for constant improvement.
- Experience of maintaining high levels of hygiene to ensure a suitable environment.
- Understands the routine nature of animal care.
- Excellent time management and sound interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to undertake standard training programs.
From April 2018, MRC will be part of UK Research and Innovation. UK Research and Innovation will bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England. The vision for the new organisation is to be the best research and innovation organisation in the world. From 1 April 2018 your employer will be UK Research and Innovation. More information can be found online http://www.ukri.org/.
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.
The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. The MRC is an excellent place to develop yourself further and a range of training & development opportunities will be available to you, including professional registration with the Science Council.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a final salary pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers, as well as the chance to put the MRC on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
Final appointments will be subject to pre-employment screening.
This opportunity is closed to applications.