View Vacancy -- Human Resources Manager - LMS 730
To oversee and deliver a professional and proactive HR service to the management team and staff at MRC LMS.
The LMS Human Resources team supports the LMS Director and Group Heads in all aspects of staff management, including recruitment and retention, performance management and motivation, reward, restructuring and change management.
This is a hands-on role, providing extensive HR advice and problem-solving across the full range of HR related activities.
- Act as HR Business Partner to Group /Administrative heads (both LMS and Imperial) and their teams. Develop a thorough understanding of their current and future needs, demonstrating a flexible, risk-based approach. Escalate where necessary to the Head of HR.
- Provide coaching and support to LMS and Imperial managers to enable them to cut through problems and resolve matters relating to people management, with consideration for equality and diversity.
- Manage the HR team, acting as first point of contact for all HR queries for LMS / Imperial employees ensuring that all relevant MRC / Imperial legislative requirements, including those related to diversity, sexual orientation, disability, race and age are considered when providing advice to managers and staff.
- Implement new legislative changes / HR process changes for both LMS and Imperial College ensuring maximum benefit for the Institute
- Provide coaching and support to HR Officers to enable them to resolve more complex issues relating to discipline, grievance, performance management, attendance and occupational health.
- Pro-actively monitor and manage recruitment for the LMS and Imperial College, including; adverts, assessments, interviews, follow up. Develop a thorough knowledge of the labour market, local agencies and media to ensure that candidates are sourced quickly and cost effectively. Ensure effective planning and selection processes are in place in line with MRC’s policy.
- Identify Employee Relations and capability issues and work with the line manager to find appropriate innovative solutions in accordance with MRC and Imperial College policies and the legal framework. This includes supporting managers in face-to-face meetings, health management meetings, investigations, disciplinary and grievance meetings.
- Manage the annual review process for both Imperial and LMS staff ensuring timelines are met
- Provide HR support for the LMS/ICS Athena Swan programme
- Contribute to or support the development and implementation of HR projects and processes, driving continuous improvement
- Work with trade unions and staff to ensure that local changes are implemented and issues resolved effectively.
- Work closely with the RCUK Service Centre and Imperial College HR to ensure that SLAs are met and service delivery is exemplary
- LMS and HR Policy and Procedures
- Employee Relations Management
- Change Management
- Policy Implementation
- Workforce planning and Resourcing
- Job Evaluation and re-grading
- Performance Management
CIPD qualified to level 5 or higher, or equivalent, or
Demonstrable HR workplace experience operating at Business Partner level or above
Up to date knowledge of employment law
Good numeracy skills
Previous work experience:
Experience of managing and influencing.
Managing multiple tasks and prioritising workload in a demanding environment.
Experience of implementing continuous improvement within an HR or administrative environment.
Evidence of successfully working in partnership at all levels demonstrating good judgement, excellent interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills.
Experience of presenting to individuals and groups.
Performance management and coaching skills.
Experience of evaluating policies/workforce and management information to support people planning and provide advice.
Evidence of good prioritisation and time management skills.
Experience of complex employee relations casework.
Evidence of effective team management.
Change management experience.
Understanding of the higher education/research environment.
Corporate/Local Responsibilities & Requirements:
The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s:
- Code of conduct
- Equality & Diversity Policy
- Health & Safety Policy
- Information technology policy and Data protection Act
Job descriptions should be reviewed on a regular basis and at the annual appraisal. Any changes should be made and agreed between postholder and line manager
The above lists are not exhaustive and the job holder is required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All staff are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
From April 2018, MRC will be part of UK Research and Innovation. UK Research and Innovation will bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England. The vision for the new organisation is to be the best research and innovation organisation in the world. From 1 April 2018 your employer will be UK Research and Innovation. More information can be found online http://www.ukri.org/ .
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.