View Vacancy -- Multi-skilled Technician Apprentice - Operations Group - Estates and Facilities - LMB 935
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
Under guidance, to assist in the mechanical and electrical duties (building management systems, natural and laboratory gas systems, reverse osmosis deionised water systems, steam boilers, gas systems, ground source heat pumps (GSHP), complex automated lighting systems, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), humidification and dehumidification plant etc) that ensure the Cambridge regions services, facilities and plant are maintained to meet the scientific requirements.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
To assist with planned & preventive maintenance (PPM).
To assist with services, facilities and plant repairs.
To assist in problem solving for services, facilities and plant repairs.
You will be part of the Estates & Facilities support team, reporting to the Services Co-ordinator. You will be required to interact with scientific and support staff at all levels.
We support our employees with a range of formal and on-the-job training, including:
• MRC training courses.
• External training and personal development courses.
• One-to-one training with their supervisor and other colleagues.
As an Apprentice you will commit to undertaking the following:
• Working to the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene.
• Attending training courses.
• Identifying additional training, which will support you to develop your career.
• Taking all measures necessary to ensure your own and other employees health & safety.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education, qualifications and training required:
• 5 GCSE’s grade 4-9 or equivalent, including Maths, English and Science or a technical-based subject.
• Good computer, numeracy and literacy skills.
Desirable: Previous experience in construction industry with Mechanics or Engineering.
Previous work experience required:
• Previous experience working with hand and power tools.
• Previous manual skills.
Knowledge and experience:
• Experience of working as part of a team.
• Ability to work safely on own initiative and with minimum supervision.
• Ability to interpret service documentation and basic drawings.
• Ability to undertake basic manual tasks.
• Commitment and desire for the role with the ability to demonstrate the importance of learning new skills and knowledge to enable continuous improvement of themselves, including a commitment to undertaking and completing the apprenticeship.
• Motivated with the ability to work accurately and under pressure.
• Good interpersonal skills and effective written and verbal communication with the ability to follow and understand instructions.
• Will convey a professional image of the MRC at all times.
• Flexible approach to changing work tasks.
• Ability to demonstrate creative ideas.
• If you already hold a Level 3 qualification or above, to be eligable for this apprenticeship your previous area of study must be sufficiently different, to allow for you to acquire substantive new skills and ensure that the content of the training provided is materially different from any of your prior training.
• You must be over the age of 16 and either;
- be a citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) (including other countries determined within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements), or have the right of abode in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA (including other countries determined within the EEA or those with bilateral agreements), for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning.
- be a non-EEA citizen with permission from the UK government to live in the UK, (not for educational purposes) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.