View Vacancy -- Domestic Services Supervisor - Operations - Geoffrey Wilkinson - LMB 946
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and has played an important role in the development of many new techniques, most notably protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, DNA sequencing and monoclonal antibodies. The LMB has a clear goal of understanding biological processes at the molecular level, with the ultimate aim of using this knowledge to tackle specific problems in human health and disease. We aim to tackle difficult, long-term problems, which often require investment over many years.
There are four scientific Divisions - Structural Studies, Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cell Biology and Neurobiology. However, scientific collaboration between the different Divisions is extensive. Scientists are well supported by excellent scientific facilities and by the LMB Operations Group which maintains the core infrastructure and services of the institute.
The LMB provides an unsurpassed environment for both new and established researchers. Scientists are drawn to the LMB from all over the world, thus creating a lively and international community for the exchange of ideas and technical innovation.
To supervise the provision of an excellent cleaning service to the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, and MRS Centre, Cambridge. To provide day-to-day supervision, direction, guidance and support for the large team of Domestic Services Assistants within the MRC-LMB to ensure they able to carry out their roles effectively.
To assist the Domestic Services Manager with mentoring and communication, staff welfare, support, development and adherence to policy and procedures and ensuring a full understanding of safe working practices.
Planning and allocation of work rotas so that all cleaning requirements are covered especially when unexpected absences occur.
Ensuring adequate stocks of cleaning consumables in the central store and within localised cleaning cupboards. Re-ordering consumables when necessary.
Assist in the resolution of enquiries/queries and problems as and when they occur, ensuring the LMB is kept clean and tidy at all times.
Main duties/ Key responsibilities:
• Planning, allocation and supervision of work so that all cleaning requirements are covered, especially when unexpected absences occur. Including being prepared to work hands on when required in times of staff shortages.
• To provide cover for cleaning in all areas of the laboratories and offices during holiday and sickness absence.
• Deputise for the Domestic Services Manager in their absence.
• Provide supervision and support for the Domestic Services Team, including Hazardous Waste Technicians, and escalate issues, disputes and grievances to the manager, in a timely manner.
• Assist the Domestic Services Manager in ensuring a high quality of service output from the team.
• Carry out Quality Control monitoring of all areas, on a daily basis, suggesting improvements and re-training staff where necessary.
• To ensure that, with the Hazardous Waste Technicians, the autoclave room is kept clean, tidy and in a safe condition.
• Ensure that the hazardous waste compound is kept clean and in a safe condition with good separation and segregation of waste types.
• In conjunction with the Manager, ensuring that staff within the team uses all mechanical and electrical equipment in a safe and correct manner, using appropriate methods of work and complying with training and PPE requirements.
• Supervise the rolling programme of floor scrubbing, buffing and cleaning of carpets as required.
• Supervise any rolling programme of deep cleans organised by the Manager, across the whole of the LMB building.
• Ensure the safety of all members of staff and visitors in the domestic services team, including the goods in yard and the surrounding area, in accordance with the LMB policies and procedures.
• Ensure all waste compounds are maintained in a clean and orderly manner and to report any defects.
• Ordering consumables on a computerised system in the Managers absence.
• Assist in the training of domestic staff, including all members receive a full induction, give practical demonstrations of methods and standards required, together with use of cleaning equipment.
• Take delivery of cleaning products /equipment and locate to relevant storage areas.
• Collection, despatch, and organisation of weekly laundering of lab coats.
• Report to the Domestic Services Manager.
• Communication with the Domestic Services Manager on a daily basis, ensuring efficient and effective collaboration.
• Supervision of the Domestic Services Team.
• Working with the Operational Group Managers and their team members as well as Scientists and Administrators of the Divisions.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.
Education / qualifications / training required:
• NVQ Level 2 in Cleaning and Support Services, or equivalent qualification.
• NVQ Level 3 in Cleaning and Support Services, or equivalent qualification and/or IOSH Managing Safely.
• Desire to attend in house training and advance in learning and abilities.
Previous work experience required:
• Previous experience in a supervisory cleaning role.
• Proven experience of all major cleaning processes.
• Proven knowledge of safe use of various types of cleaning machinery.
• Experience of working in a shared service environment, including use of a computerised ordering system.
• Experience of working in a laboratory, Research or Hospital environment.
Knowledge and experience
Creativity and initiative
• You must be computer literate.
• You must be able to work efficiently & effectively on your own with minimum supervision, the ability to plan the work and fit in with the demands of the LMB is important in this role.
• A good knowledge of Health & Safety and legislation.
• A sound knowledge of C.O.S.H.H.
• Ability to prepare, C.O.S.H.H. assessments, SOPs, and Risk assessments when required.
• Ability to competently transfer learning and training.
• A sound knowledge of manual handling
• You must be able to make on the spot decisions when problems arise, and know when to escalate to the manger.
• The ability to implement and adhere to standards and procedures.
• Ability to motivate and encourage staff to work efficiently and achieve a high standard of work.
Verbal and written communication skills:
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Basic office/administrative skills.
Personal skills / behaviours / qualities:
• Deputise for the Domestic Services Manager, you must be able to cope efficiently and effectively, occasionally managing the staff.
• Previous experience in managing a large team.
• Good leadership skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Ability to prioritise work of a team and individuals.
• Proven ability to problem solve.
• To be smart in appearance and have a professional manner.
• Demonstrate a high level of discretion and confidentially.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, as well as the chance to put the MRC and UKRI on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
We will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
This opportunity is closed to applications.